The Village Food Trip: Buffalo's Wings and Things + Happy Cream Puff


Within the deepest parts of the jungle of Makati CBD, peculiar shops which specialize in certain cuisines abound.  I have always been amazed by the diversity of hole-in-the-wall restaurants here: Indian, Indonesian, French, German, Vietnamese - a virtual United Nations affair.  I have been longing to walk the labyrinthine streets of Makati a la New York, searching for exceptional foodie finds.  When I finally got the chance, I ended up craving for a more familiar taste.

I adore chicken wings.  That should be quite obvious by now.  I would walk twenty mountains and cross three oceans just to taste the best wings in the land.  Okay, that was an exaggeration.  Nevertheless, we walked three whole blocks along Dela Rosa Street in Legaspi Village, braving the afternoon sun and the Makati smog, just to reach the buffalo wings we had been craving for the past few weeks.  The first time we tried out Buffalo's Wings and Things was at Nuvali, and it blew us away - almost literally (those Nuclear Wings were really atomic!).  But its flavor lingered in our minds, leading us to crave their wings once again.

So, huffing and puffing, we finally reached their location, berthed in the heart of the banking district.  Surprisingly, even at 5PM, just when the Makati urban workers were getting off their office shifts, the place was already nearly half full.  Buffalo's Wings and Things shared its spot with Chubby's Rib Shack, its sister restaurant.  It was dimly lit yet cozy, the walls lined by wooden panels to exude that Tex-Mex frontier outpost feel.


Porky was perky enough to welcome us that day.

We wasted absolutely no time in ordering.  Having journeyed on foot, we were famished!  We ordered two different flavors of wings for half a pound each, then settled on another side.  The menu was simple and straightforward, boasting proudly as the "Best Wings in Buffalo, NY".  There is actually truth in that apparently, when I checked out some of the blogs.  But don't take my word for it.  Taste it to believe.


No more nuclear for me!

We picked out a tamer version of their spicy wing flavor concoction, as our previous attempt at Nuclear level nearly ended up in a fall-out epic disaster.  (I managed to finish half pound of that with almost a liter of water to boot).  So, this time it was the Firehouse Classic and then a different one altogether, the Honey Barbecue.



Firehouse Classic (1/2 lb. - P149, 1lb. - P279)

The Firehouse Classic is the more familiar variety.  It oozes with the distinct tangy flavor of a typical buffalo wing, but adds more pizzazz by stepping up on the hotness level.  For people who can actually tolerate Tabasco (by tolerate, I mean people who can sip a teaspoon of Tabasco), this is just the right level.  The wings are impeccably deep-fried to a crisp, with the breading thin enough to conceal the juicy meat within.  Quite remarkably, the flavor of the sauce seeped in well, such that you will not escape its sting.  Even without any condiment or dip, this is very addictive, as they are quite liberal in draping the wings in their signature sauce.



Honey Barbecue Wings (1/2 lb. - P149, 1 lb - P279)

The Honey Barbecue Wings, on the other hand, scores milder in the hotness level.  Nearly devoid of the distinct tangy taste of buffalo wings, this flavor was more familiar to Filipinos, with its sweeter blend and smoky overtones.  There was a hint of honey in the sweetness, while the peculiar grilled taste was cloying.  Once again, the wings were perfectly deep fried, while the meat itself was tender and moist with flavor.

My only complains for both varieties was that the sizes of the wings were a tad smaller than I could clearly remember.  Moreover, other wing joints that I've tried (B.Wings, Flaming Wings) offered larger pieces, even at lower prices.  (Stay tuned for a coming soon wing-to-wing comparison of these restaurants).  Also, you could actually order for a pound of wings, paying for P279, and then have it separated into half a pound of a different flavor each.  That appears to be cheaper, but I haven't yet tried ordering SEPARATE half pounders to see if the serving sizes would differ.  Nevertheless, the reason why Buffalo's Wings and Things probably has the better tasting wings than any other is in their sauce.  Bursting with flavor, one can actually distinguish and appreciate the uniqueness of each.


Chili N' Cheese Fries, P144

Thankfully, the fries remained unchanged.  These gooey globs of goodness consisted of true potato fries cut in large slices, fried to a crunch, then topped of with a dose of chili con carne.    Glorious amounts of cheese are then squirted all over this creation, giving a contrasting mixture of spicy and milky characters.  The serving size is good for two (or one very hungry guy), and like all things here, is addictive and habit-forming.

Its claim to fame appears to hold true, with Buffalo's Wings and Things creations dominating the competition.  Its striking menu that offers a level of hotness offers customers an adventure rarely seen in other joints (Believe me, Nuclear is already too hot.  Armaggedon is the stuff of legends.)  The wings are perfectly executed and definitely deserves its Best Wings monicker.  Best Wings in the RP? Perhaps.  Fortunately for us, it has began expanding its reach further, with branches soon to open in Glorietta 5 and SM Megamall.  They even have a small shack within the Metro Supermarket of ATC (I now finish my clinic quickly in ATC just to grab those wings for lunch).  No more walking for me.

Then again, we had to walk back to Greenbelt that day.  However, we already planned on dropping by another hideaway.  It was dessert time!

Another addiction of mine, cream puffs are like bite-sized heaven.  Whatever the variety, be it topped with chocolate, almonds, candy sprinkles and the like, or even just the plain caramelized version, these round mounds of bliss were sure to perk my day.  I discovered Happy Cream Puff from scouring the net during my free time, and I was instantly baited - hook, line, and sinker.  


Taking home happiness in a box.


Their small shop along Dela Rosa Street was the perfect little secret, quaint and homey.  We grabbed a box of 14 petite puffs for take-out.  But, even before we could exit through the door, we cheated and sat down to gobble one each.  These naughty globules of fun were oozing with delectable cream, while the dough was toasted just right to give you a contrasting texture of crisp and crunch.  The caramel on top teased you to pick up piece after piece.



Petit Puff, Box of 14, P280


Happy Cream Puff offers a myriad of flavors, a wonderful collection of color and taste.  I certainly would be coming back to try those again soon.  Not to share, of course.  A box of these small wonders are reasonably priced at 280 bucks for 14 pieces (P20 per piece), cheaper than those crazy tasting donuts with even crazier queues.

Hopefully, Happy Cream Puff could expand soon.  Their only other branch is in Malugay Street on the other side of Buendia, so it really is a journey getting to either shop.  Nevertheless, its powerful sweetness is tempting even the strongest of heart to try out these bite-sized happiness.

Legaspi Village is pregnant with a diversity of food finds.  Mom and Tinas, Buffalo's Wings N' Things, Happy Cream Puff, the list goes on.  I promise to come back soon and conquer the other cuisines here, like the authentic Indonesian and Vietnamese safe houses within.  On a weekday (and Saturday), the only (and biggest) problem is parking and traffic.  On a Sunday, the streets are empty and parking is easy.  The catch?  Some stores are closed on a Sunday.  So, one could instead park within Greenbelt and go around Legaspi Village on foot, like what I did.  It's an adventure and an experience in itself.  Just imagine you're in New York or Chicago, so you wouldn't mind the tropical heat and the Philippine smog.  As Johnny would put it, keep walking.



Buffalo's Wings N' Things
Solaris One Building, Dela Rosa Street, Legaspi Village
Makati City
http://www.facebook.com/get.buffaloed


Happy Cream Puff
Unit G-16, Rada Regency
Rada Street corner Dela Rosa Street, Legaspi Village
Makati City
http://www.happycreampuff.com
http://www.facebook.com/Happycreampuff2006










Food & Drink - Top Blogs Philippines

Written by

1 comment:

  1. I just lost my man about three months ago though he is back again full of love and passion with the help of great man Dr. IKHIDE. I NORAH PEDRO from Norway, have been into a relationship with daniel mark since I was 22 years old and I am 28 now. I so much love him but I could not show the love, it was very difficult for me to prove my realness to him because I thought to prove my love to him might make him look down on me and go after other girls. for over six years Daniel has given me all that I ask of him. I always threatened him with break up each time I want to see his level of love for me because I was told if I threaten him, he will propose to me and then will get married to him before I can show my love despite his complains of him not sure of my love I was responding to him with negative words. though I was suspecting he has another girl in his life, I did not border to ask him about that because I was so sure of his love despite my attitude. on the 8th of September a day to my birthday he came and gave me so many lovely gifts like never before claiming to wish me a happy birthday in advance with his words and behavior I expected him to propose to me on my birthday night then I will also tell him of my pregnant for him. I wait for him on my birthday he did not show up not even a call, I tried his number and it was not going through I refuse to go check on him because the anger in me six days later I went to his house and I found nothing not even a sign of my Daniel once live there. I was disappointed, frustrated, confused with so many thoughts on my mind like hanging my self if I did not see him again because I can not my parent about the pregnancy when the man responsible for it had disappeared. our religion's against that, my family will be disappointed in me, I have brought them shame. I look for daniel everywhere till I could chat with him on social network, he warned me never to disturb him again because he already had found another girl that he wants to live his life with, after a while, he blocked me from all access then I could not tell him of my pregnancy for him. so, I needed help from all corners of life, I decide to check to google my self or read some write up on-site on how to coup with my pain because I could not tell anybody about it not even my friends were aware of my pregnancy. I keep reading to cancel my self till I find how Dr. IKHIDE helps so many persons from different walks of life with their testimonies. then I decide to also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com. Because I do not know much about contacting a spell caster, I was not sure he can bring my Dan back but I decide to give him a try though his requirement was another problem I meet with a friend for help because I could not the items that he needed I have to plead with Dr. IKHIDE to help me get the items because really need my man back to take away my shame. just two days after I send him the requirement Daniel calls me, plead for forgiveness. just yesterday he propose to me and I am so happy. you can also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete