Going Mad at Mad Marks!

Most people have their own set of comfort food.  It's that kind of food that instantly transports one home at a single bite, or sends rushes of endorphins and feel-good hormones at the mere sight of it.  Or that type of food that brings back memories, complete with a soundtrack playing in the background.

For me, my default choices are usually Japanese fare and American diner food.  So, it was just a matter of time, ever since I came back home, before I succumbed to my cravings.


I had been eyeing Mad Mark's ever since they opened in Kapitolyo just a couple of years back.  But I didn't get a chance to visit their flagship store then.  It was a welcome sight that I saw their signage radiating brightly from the windows of Glorietta 5 in Makati.  Images of greasy American food zipped across my mind.



Their branch in Makati was small but apparently larger than their original store. It was a weekday dinner and the place was packed, cramped, and noisy.  The smokey aroma from the kitchen was obvious once you stepped inside - a gripe for some people.  The menu was straightforward and familiar, a mix of Tex-Mex American food with a little twist.

Churrasco, P245 (+10% service charge)

The missus picked something light for dinner, the Churrasco, a soft shell-taco type of meal.  Two medium-sized wraps burst open with a colorful array of fillings.  The garnishing of green bell peppers, red onions, and caramelized onions made for an interesting zesty taste.  The wrap itself was soft enough and not tough to chew.


Something that we thought was light on the stomach was actually not.  The Churrasco was pregnant with meat and, lo and behold, rice!  The cheese was also distinct, and blended well with the overall theme.  The meat was USDA beef, and indeed it tasted high grade.  Tender and flavorful, I almost regretted not ordering the actual steak!


Surprise, surprise!  We weren't able to finish both wraps and had to bring home the rest.  Amazingly, the Churrasco tasted good the following day, even after reheating.

I went on to surrender to my whims - baby back ribs, of course!  Attractively priced at under 300 bucks, I had doubts about the quality of their ribs.

Johnnie Double Black Ribs, Half Slab, P245 (+10% service charge)

The half slab serving initially looked too small for me, but again, surprisingly, it got me filled up easily.  The ribs were generously glazed with their signature barbecue sauce, with just the right sweetness and tangy flavor.  The meat was fork tender, with a notable smokey flavor.  It was good and did not taste cheap.  But, it was not as superb as the more dominant restaurants serving ribs.


Interestingly, I adored the sides of corn and carrots and smashed potatoes it came with.  Not exactly a fan of potatoes (except french fries), I was pleasantly impressed by the salty mix of mashed potatoes and creamy gravy.  It was highly addicting, perhaps explaining why I became so full so quickly.  The corn also deserved praise, with its buttery delight and a secret powder (probably dry spice rub) sprinkled on it that made the difference.

Ragin' Cajun Wings, P150 (+10% service charge)

We were actually craving for buffalo wings that night before I spotted Mad Mark's, so I thought it was comforting to see this on the menu.  It looked and sounded nice, promising a sweet and spicy experience.  Sadly though, on my first bite, it was a salty and bitter bad memory.


The wings were overcooked and burnt!  Tell-tale signs of blackened outer coating left me gasping in exasperation.  The cajun sauce was a tad too sour and lacked the level of hotness I wanted.  It could not compensate for the bitter taste of burnt breading.  The exterior was crisp and the chicken meat was fine, but lacked flavor.  The chopped onion leeks did nothing to help save the dish.  It was almost painful to finish a paltry two pieces of wings.  When I pointed out this sacrilege to their waitstaff, their only excuse was that this kind of stuff really happens.  Really? How come I have never encountered burnt wings in my entire life in places like Buffalo's, Flaming Wings, Wingman, hell, even the budget B. Wings?  It was an utter disappointment.

Nevertheless, it might have been a case of right restaurant, wrong order.  Although, the Churrasco was a revelation and a hint that I should have ordered their best-selling steaks.  The ribs were fine and I would go back for it if I was craving for a quick escape for a budget homey meal of my favorite baby back ribs.  But, on a hungrier (and wealthier) night, I would return and sample their steaks.  The wings though, are an entirely different story.  Forgettable and regrettable, one would be better off skedaddling to the nearby Buffalo's Wings N' Things.  For a few bucks more, you'd get correctly and honestly done buffalo wings.  But perhaps for everything else (especially steak and ice cream), Mad Mark's should be able to deliver on their premise of honest good food.



Jones


Mad Mark's Creamery and Good Eats
2/F, Glorietta 5, Office Drive
Ayala Center, Makati City


  










Written by

1 comment:

  1. I just lost my man about three months ago though he is back again full of love and passion with the help of great man Dr. IKHIDE. I NORAH PEDRO from Norway, have been into a relationship with daniel mark since I was 22 years old and I am 28 now. I so much love him but I could not show the love, it was very difficult for me to prove my realness to him because I thought to prove my love to him might make him look down on me and go after other girls. for over six years Daniel has given me all that I ask of him. I always threatened him with break up each time I want to see his level of love for me because I was told if I threaten him, he will propose to me and then will get married to him before I can show my love despite his complains of him not sure of my love I was responding to him with negative words. though I was suspecting he has another girl in his life, I did not border to ask him about that because I was so sure of his love despite my attitude. on the 8th of September a day to my birthday he came and gave me so many lovely gifts like never before claiming to wish me a happy birthday in advance with his words and behavior I expected him to propose to me on my birthday night then I will also tell him of my pregnant for him. I wait for him on my birthday he did not show up not even a call, I tried his number and it was not going through I refuse to go check on him because the anger in me six days later I went to his house and I found nothing not even a sign of my Daniel once live there. I was disappointed, frustrated, confused with so many thoughts on my mind like hanging my self if I did not see him again because I can not my parent about the pregnancy when the man responsible for it had disappeared. our religion's against that, my family will be disappointed in me, I have brought them shame. I look for daniel everywhere till I could chat with him on social network, he warned me never to disturb him again because he already had found another girl that he wants to live his life with, after a while, he blocked me from all access then I could not tell him of my pregnancy for him. so, I needed help from all corners of life, I decide to check to google my self or read some write up on-site on how to coup with my pain because I could not tell anybody about it not even my friends were aware of my pregnancy. I keep reading to cancel my self till I find how Dr. IKHIDE helps so many persons from different walks of life with their testimonies. then I decide to also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com. Because I do not know much about contacting a spell caster, I was not sure he can bring my Dan back but I decide to give him a try though his requirement was another problem I meet with a friend for help because I could not the items that he needed I have to plead with Dr. IKHIDE to help me get the items because really need my man back to take away my shame. just two days after I send him the requirement Daniel calls me, plead for forgiveness. just yesterday he propose to me and I am so happy. you can also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete