Meaty Monstrosity: El Chupacabra

Legend tells of a mythical, mysterious creature that feasts on the blood of livestock, terrorizing the Latin American countryside.  This hideous beast is often described as a bear-sized monster studded with spiny outgrowths - almost an other-worldly being.

It is curious how this brainchild of the proprietors of Mexicali is aptly named.  The only creatures feasting here are the hungry miscreants of Makati night-life, eagerly stuffing themselves silly either before or after a night of partying.  Yet the name is catchy, mysterious even.  Finding it is an adventure itself - tucked away in the bowels of Poblacion.



El Chupacabra has built its legend on the strength of the social network, powered by Instagram and Zomato and whatever food-sharing app.  The place is not too shabby, neither is it intimidating.  It consists of a modified flat, with tables set al fresco albeit in a haphazard way - much like a fly-by-night carinderia.  Yes, complete with the obligatory roadside barbecue grill where the good stuff goes on.  The lighting inside is sinister red, illuminating the crowds consisting of a mix of locals and boisterous Japanese ex-pats.


A hot, humid hell house it is - a perfect setting for sampling even hotter Mexican fare.  We settled for two kinds of quesadillas, but I proceeded to be more adventurous with an order of their signature wings from Hades.

Gringas, Carne Asada, P195 (+10% service charge)

The quesadilla collection, coined as Gringas, is a myriad of selections that should cater to everyone- from all-meat to pure veggies.  The Carne Asada consists of thin slices of steak eneveloped by glorious melted cheese.  The flour wraps are light and toasted perfectly, as evidenced by blackish-brown stains.  The steak meat is bliss - soft and tender, oozing with its natural juices.  Such a pity that the strips are too few in between - but still enough to tickle one's fancy.  The cheese is gooey, sticky, yet not overpowering.  The dips are almost unnecessary, but the chimichurri blends well with the wraps.  Truly a bargain for the meat-lovers.

Gringas, Cheese, Garlic and Onion, P125 (+10% service charge)

I picked a non-meat version of the Gringas, but nonetheless lip-smacking good.  Four thin quesadilla filled with gooey cheese arrived with an unmistakable aroma.  The wraps were seared and toasted well on the exterior.


Though the wraps could use more fillings, the zest added by the garlic and onion was a welcome change in flavor.  Again, the green chimichurri dip works best with this dish.

Lord of the Wings, P250 (+10% service charge)

The main reason why I opted for a non-meat wrap - the Lord of the Wings.  The name was catchy and interesting, especially for a night when I was craving for fried chicken wings.  Their version of the classic buffalo wings was a sight to behold - the sauce was generously and lovingly draping every part of the wings.

I was hyped up for the wings - but the first bite was a bit of deflating.  The wings had arrived cold!  I wasn't sure if it was due to the sauce that they probably stored in a cooler.  Or my plate might have gone cold as it was the last item to arrive.  Nevertheless, the meat inside was juicy and flavorful.  The skin was inconsistent though - crisp in some parts, questionable in others.  However, prepare your taste buds for some torment.  The sauce is fiery - straight from Hades.  The first stain on your lips is deceptively mild, but as you bite through one piece, all hell breaks loose.  Sour and zesty, their homemade sauce is consistently and painfully hot, yet enjoyable.  Dip it in the accompanying blue cheese dip to tame the flavors a bit.  


I managed to finish off the dish, with a little help from my friends.  It was highly addicting and should be popular for spicy sadists.  The size of each wing joint was average, smaller than dedicated wing restaurants like Wingman and the like.  Still, at 250 bucks, it's a good bar chow to share or naughty dish to order if you feel like having it all for yourself.

It seems strange that despite the longevity of Mexicali in the local Mexican food scene, it is their side show El Chupacabra that has exploded in popularity.  Perhaps the adventure of finding this humble street side nook is part of the charm it exudes.  Perhaps tales of dirt cheap burritos and tacos and honest-to-goodness Pinoy-style barbecue (yes, it is also a best seller) piques the interest of foodies.  Or perhaps the folk lore of hungry chupacabras devouring flavorful meat lures the hunters themselves.  Try the spicy goat burrito next time and truly one will transform into a real goat-sucker, El Chupacabra.



Jones


 El Chupacabra
5782 Felipe corner Polaris Street
Bel-Air, Makati City










Written by

1 comment:

  1. I just lost my man about three months ago though he is back again full of love and passion with the help of great man Dr. IKHIDE. I NORAH PEDRO from Norway, have been into a relationship with daniel mark since I was 22 years old and I am 28 now. I so much love him but I could not show the love, it was very difficult for me to prove my realness to him because I thought to prove my love to him might make him look down on me and go after other girls. for over six years Daniel has given me all that I ask of him. I always threatened him with break up each time I want to see his level of love for me because I was told if I threaten him, he will propose to me and then will get married to him before I can show my love despite his complains of him not sure of my love I was responding to him with negative words. though I was suspecting he has another girl in his life, I did not border to ask him about that because I was so sure of his love despite my attitude. on the 8th of September a day to my birthday he came and gave me so many lovely gifts like never before claiming to wish me a happy birthday in advance with his words and behavior I expected him to propose to me on my birthday night then I will also tell him of my pregnant for him. I wait for him on my birthday he did not show up not even a call, I tried his number and it was not going through I refuse to go check on him because the anger in me six days later I went to his house and I found nothing not even a sign of my Daniel once live there. I was disappointed, frustrated, confused with so many thoughts on my mind like hanging my self if I did not see him again because I can not my parent about the pregnancy when the man responsible for it had disappeared. our religion's against that, my family will be disappointed in me, I have brought them shame. I look for daniel everywhere till I could chat with him on social network, he warned me never to disturb him again because he already had found another girl that he wants to live his life with, after a while, he blocked me from all access then I could not tell him of my pregnancy for him. so, I needed help from all corners of life, I decide to check to google my self or read some write up on-site on how to coup with my pain because I could not tell anybody about it not even my friends were aware of my pregnancy. I keep reading to cancel my self till I find how Dr. IKHIDE helps so many persons from different walks of life with their testimonies. then I decide to also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com. Because I do not know much about contacting a spell caster, I was not sure he can bring my Dan back but I decide to give him a try though his requirement was another problem I meet with a friend for help because I could not the items that he needed I have to plead with Dr. IKHIDE to help me get the items because really need my man back to take away my shame. just two days after I send him the requirement Daniel calls me, plead for forgiveness. just yesterday he propose to me and I am so happy. you can also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete