Lose Your Mind at Crazy Katsu!

A couple of years ago, katsu was the "in" thing.  People would endure long queues just to be able to gobble up their favorite crunchy fillets.  Katsu places now are dime a dozen, from the perennial favorite Yabu, to the higher end Saboten, and everything in between.  The market is flooded by katsu restaurants, even fastfood joints are modifying their menu to include them.  But, unlike the ramen craze, the clamor for katsu has mellowed down.


Keeping itself under the radar, Crazy Katsu has stealthily occupied a comfortable niche in the low to mid-level market for katsu.  From its humble origins in the bustling food mecca in Maginhawa street, Crazy Katsu managed to expand its reach as far as the southern foodie haven in BF.  Just a few meters behind my home, I had been eyeing this place every time I went for an afternoon jog.


This particular branch is quite diminutive but cozy, tucked away in a small corner beside a sari-sari store and a burger bar.  Inside, around 30-40 people can comfortably seat on wooden chairs.  Despite this, it didn't feel like a cheap katsu place.  On a lazy Sunday lunchtime, the place was rather empty.  The family quickly ordered as we were all famished.


The menu was a one-pager.  Clearly, all they offered was katsu and a few other Japanese dishes.  No sushi or sashimi here, for those needing their raw fix.  But it was all good for me, as I was here to sample their best-selling katsu.  Service was understandably fast since there were only two other diners inside.

Tonkatsu, P150

I am not a big fan of chicken katsu, so I instantly selected Tonkatsu from the menu.  I kept my expectations reasonable, knowing that this is a budget joint.  It was a pleasant surprise, therefore, when my order arrived.  The size was bigger than I expected, larger than an average man's palm.


Remarkably, the fillet was also a centimeter thick.  The exterior was stunning, deep-fried to a perfect golden-brown.  At first bite, there was very little trace of oil, a welcome finding.  The coating was consistently crunchy in all parts.  The panko crumbs are light and gentle to the palate.  I always disdain katsu that have crumbs that pierce my mouth.  

The meat was flavorful but tough in some parts.  There were hints of luscious fat, but it left me wanting.  Clearly, it lacked the marbling so evident in higher-end katsu.  No ceremonious grinding of sesame seeds here, as the sauce is provided on the side.  It was a combination of sour-sweet flavor, a good accompaniment to the tonkatsu.  The shredded cabbage was generic and wasn't saved by the usual mayonnaise dressing.  Nevertheless, this was a good bargain.  Well done!

Chicken Katsu, P155

Mom picked their renowned best-seller, the Chicken Katsu variant.  Chopped cubes of chicken deep fried to a crisp came served on a bed of shredded cabbage.  Again, the serving size was a delightful surprise, seemingly more than the price tag.


The outer breading was light and crunchy, with very little panko.  Yet, it was highly addicting!  The chicken meat was tender and juicy.  Some cubes had the skin-on, retaining a cloying fatty flavor.  Still, the secret, apparently, was the soy-vinegar sauce on the side.  Spiked with red chilies, it raised the heat level a notch and added a zesty dimension.  One can request this potion drenching the chicken, but I prefer that the meat retain its crunchy texture.  Although I wasn't a big fan of ANY chicken katsu, I really enjoyed this dish.  It defended its moniker as the best-seller, indeed.

Fish and Vegetable Tempura, P150 

A non-meat eater, Dad was thankful that they had the Fish and Vegetable Tempura on the menu.  Although I was wary that they would not deliver well on this, the order looked tempting when it arrived.  Three thin fillets were lightly battered and fried to a perfect crisp.


Veggies thrown into the mix included slices of eggplants, sweet potatoes, and string beans. I didn't get to taste all but I assume it was okay, as my dad consumed them in a jiffy.

Gyoza, P130

We had a side order of gyoza, just so I could sample them.  I was missing Kenji Tei's spicy cheese gyoza, so I craved for this.  However, this was just the regular variety.


The dumplings were slightly burnt on the underside - a good sign for gyoza.  This surface was crisp, while the opposite side was smooth and soft.  The filling was warm as I had my first bite.  However, it was a tad too bitter and wanting with pork meat.  I preferred a more savory taste, and there was nothing that the soy dip could do.

Bargain bounty!

With nothing over 200 bucks, Crazy Katsu is a steal.  For that price tag, the food quality is above par, especially both chicken and pork katsu variants.  No wonder it still is a hit among students.  The other dishes though are a bit off, but these guys certainly know what they are doing with their katsu.  With the departure of Tonkatsuya in BF, Crazy Katsu should dominate the scene.  Ditch your plans for a quick katsu fix in fast-food posers.  It's better to lose your self here.  In my opinion, the best budget katsu in the country.



Jones


Crazy Katsu
231 Aguirre Street
BF Homes, Paranaque City















   




Written by

0 comments: