The Lesser Evil: Chuck's Grub


Whoever doesn't like fried food must be rather daft.  One of life's sinful pleasures, anything fried elevates me to a state of high.  That crunchy texture with just the right amount of grease and oiliness is like sweet nectar to my palate.  But practicing the art and science of cardiology has made me keenly aware of the evils of cholesterol.  So much so that I've begun to cut down on my pork intake (goodbye, lechon kawali).  Yet my insatiable hunger for fried food has led me to apparently healthier alternatives.

Of course, seafood should be the answer.  Fried seafood, that is.  Ever since I had my first dibs on Fish and Co.'s fish and chips aeons ago, I instantly fell in love.  I knew I had a less sinful alternative to my favorite fried chicken and pork chops and the like.  Still, given a choice between the former and the latter, I'd still pick the chicken and chops nine times out of ten.  However, it's quite an encouraging sight to notice that a few shops have jumped into the healthy bandwagon and now specialize in offering fish and chips exclusively.

I first noticed Chuck's Grub when I repeatedly passed by SM North's Sky Garden and they had this really big tarp.  That day, I was craving for something fried but I didn't want to splurge on carbs.  We headed out to their small shop right smack in the middle of Sky Garden to try out their offerings.

Called a "chippy" shop, it was anything but.  This quaint nook was fit enough to cram about 6 people or so and get a first hand breath of what's frying.  I was rather hesitant to sit inside, not wanting to smell fishy.  Yet the aroma of whatever it was submerged in their frying cauldrons was inviting enough to persuade me to stay indoors.  Their overhead menu was bright and straightforward.  There's even a short background information about the type of fish you were about to order.  Be wary of the more spunky variants, like the snapper.  Playing it safe, we went for two servings of cream dory.  Ho-hum choice, but wait till you see the servings.  Not seeing any spicy versions, we added another order to perk us up.


Funnel-shaped boxes are the true Brit way to go.

Cooking time was fast, not exceeding 10 minutes or so.  You might expect that the fish isn't cooked all the way through in such a short period, but surprise, surprise!  In a clever presentation, the fish and chips were enclosed by cardboard funnels resting within stainless steel holders.  I was sure glad to have picked dining in rather than taking out our orders.




Beer-battered Dory and Chips, Regular, P130

We ordered two regular-sized dory and chips, which included 2 pieces of fish and more than a handful of french fries.  Initially, I thought the 2 pieces of fish for 130 bucks was a highway robbery.  But then, I saw the fillets and these were two really large cuts, almost twice the length of the average male middle finger and twice the width of a really fat thumb (sorry, couldn't think of a better analogy as of yet).  Still a bit skeptical, I thought this must be bloated by the breading.  But with my first bite, my fears were instantly dissolved and transcended into heaven.  The breading was thin yet perfectly crisp!  The dory was smooth, moist, and hot - definitely cooked all the way through.  It was like 98% fish and 2% breading.  I know some fish and chips shops and even restaurants have proportions like 30% breading, 50% fish, and 20% AIR.  But Chuck's doesn't scrimp on the fish. 

The fries were true potato cuts, not your fast food lard imitations.  To attest to that, I was nearly full when I still had half of the fries and half of the fish left.  Talk about filling.  We picked Garlic Mayo and Tartare sauce for dips, just to enhance the somewhat generic flavor of the dory.  Both dips were perfect, though I would have desired more servings of the dips.  With those large fillets, I think we deserve unlimited sauces!

Jalapeno Poppers, P150

These perky dynamites were a sight to behold.  Fat and plump jalapenos embraced by a warm cheese filling, and then smothered in the same beer-batter.  Deep-fried to perfection, it was a spicy kick to our meal.  Still, the jalapenos seemed to lack the right oomph I was expecting. (Although I might be too tolerant of spicy food already in general.  So take that with a grain of salt. And chili.)  Also, the whole contraption appeared to crumble at first nibble, so it was really messy eating the whole thing bite after bite.  I hope they soon devise a way to stabilize the whole piece, so I could enjoy it slowly.  The tomato salsa dip complemented this Mexican overture.


Who says you get fat from fried food?

Chuck's Grub was a stunner.  The fish and chips were well-executed, even better than fancy restaurants.  It was surprisingly filling even with just the regular serving.  On a more famished day, I would pick the larger servings with 3 or 4 pieces of fish.  But more importantly, for such a supposedly boring and unexciting food choice (fish), I found munching on the dory enjoyable and pleasurable.  The same way I could enjoy a greasy, oil-smeared piece of chicken wing.  Another comfort food added to my list!  Moreover, priced at just over a hundred bucks for the regular dory serving, it is a certain steal.  Now, they even have rice meals to boot.  Rejoice!

I suggest trying out the SM North chippy shop, as I've seen in Chuck's Grub FB page some of the complaints about the other branches.  We were lucky to have experienced our first in their SM North branch, and pretty much met our expectations.  So, given a choice between Fish and Co. and Chucks' Grub?  On a special dinner, perhaps Fish and Co. would be best.  On most other days, when I feel like pigging out without fearing for my arteries, Chuck's Grub is the way to go.  And on those "other" days, that's practically 9 times out of 10.


Chuck's Grub Fish and Chips
Sky Garden, SM City North Edsa, North Avenue
Quezon City





  


Food & Drink - Top Blogs Philippines

Written by

0 comments: