Pho (For) Good Health: Pho Hoa

Despite the widespread popularity of ramen shops, I have never really jumped into the bandwagon.  I'm not really fond of noodles in general, whether it be the soupy or the dry variety.  The only noodle dish that works for me is the Jolly Spaghetti.  No kidding.  Even the ubiquitous cup noodles are my last resort only when I'm strapped for cash.



Nevertheless, my idea of a warm bowl of hearty noodle soup is not ramen, not even chicken mami (but the lomi may pass my standards if done correctly).  When I hear "noodle soup", the first thing that conjures in my mind is a good bowl of pho



Vietnamese food is known for its simplicity and reliance on herbs and shrubs, with little emphasis on meat.  Thus, it makes for a healthy yet filling alternative.  Pho Hoa was one of the pioneer franchises in Vietnamese noodle soups, gaining a steady and loyal following through the years (mostly elderly!).  I had my first pho experience in the US, and it was a unique flavor for my palate.  I enjoyed munching through crisp mongo sprouts while sipping the fragrant broth, the goodness seeping into my whole body.

Man's greatest invention: Sriracha!


So, on my Dad's pre-birthday celebration, after all his medical exam tests were good, we sought a healthy lunch for the day.  The Pho Hoa branch in ATC has been around even before the new wings were added.  Despite its small, almost claustrophobic area, it never loses its share of hungry followers.  We found our way to our seats, consisting merely of humble wooden chairs and an unimaginative table set.  Wasting no time, we promptly ordered after browsing the menu speedily.


Goi Cuon, P129

No Vietnamese course would be started correctly without the spring roll.  The fresh variety, the Goi Cuon, consisted of fresh vermicelli noodles, carrots and thin slices of shrimp and lean pork wrapped in a thin delicate rice paper.  The veggies were crisp and fresh, and perfectly paired with the peanut sauce dip.  This appetizer was a meal in itself.

Goi Ca, P195

Wanting to stuff our stomachs with more greens, we ordered another salad appetizer.  The Goi Ca was a chicken salad consisting of pulled chicken meat and a hodge-podge of shrubs.  There was cabbage, lettuce, carrots, and I could even make out slices of turnips. 


This heaping pile of leaves was topped generously with roasted peanuts which surprisingly matched the crunchiness of the greens with its own crisp and savory flavor.  I preferred dousing my salad with the accompanying vinaigrette to further up the ante.  It's a sad day for meat lovers.

Com Thit Nuong Cha Gio, P260

On second thought, I wouldn't survive the day without meat!  So I ordered a rice platter for myself.  With a long name sounding like an incantation, this rice platter was a hefty meal.  Consisting of a large serving of special fried rice (almost 1 and a half cups, I'd say), the grilled pork and a sliced single serve of fried spring roll was the perfect marriage of the two different methods of cooking.

No such thing as healthy pork?

The spring roll was crisp and plump with filling, akin to its fresh counterpart.  I wished I had more servings of this with my rice platter, but I had to make room for the pork.  The pork was lightly glazed in a sweet and tangy marinade, and then charred perfectly to give that smokey taste and texture.  It had the right fat-to-meat ratio, staying in tune to the overall healthy vibe of Pho Hoa.  Best enjoyed with the light vinegar dip, although I did douse some of the pieces with the salad vinaigrette!  It tasted good actually.

Pho Do Vien, P350 (large)

For the parents, they shared a large bowl of a hearty concoction of seafood noodle soup, the Pho Do Vien.  This hefty bowl of herby, almost medicinal, fragrant broth combined thin rice noodles with the briny flavor of the sea.  Chunky mounds of fish balls and sweet succulent shrimps simmered in the soup as if in their own habitat.  All sorts of greens (of course adding the mongo sprouts) gave life and flavor to the overflowing broth.

Under the sea...

The flavor of the broth was perfect and typical of pho, not too salty, but exuding the leafy taste of healthy foliage.  Dashing a few drops of sriracha amps up the spice level and gets the blood pumping.  The only complaint was that the soup went cold too fast (blame the aircon perhaps?).  But not to worry, the wait staff was quick to refill your bowl with the hearty broth with a fresh warm serving.  Yes, I did say refill.  Make friends with the waiter and he'll even give you another bowl of soup to go.  That's what he did for us!

Staying healthy has never been this delicious and appetizing.  Who said eating shrubs was a drudgery?  With the flavors and benefits of veggies captured masterfully by Pho Hoa, it's a small wonder that the elderly often prefer a bowl of pho than any MSG-laden ramen or mami.  And, as I always quip whenever I eat Vietnamese cuisine, I have never seen any obese Vietnamese national, whether on TV, movies, or even personally.  So this must be their secret to keeping fit: a bowl of warm pho, a few fresh spring rolls, and lean grilled meat.  So pass me the sriracha as I finish another serving of pho.  Pho The Win.



Jones



Pho Hoa 
Alabang Town Center
Alabang-Zapote Road, Muntinlupa City  










Written by

0 comments: