Cheap Steak for the Cheapskate: Snackaroo!


Despite my voracious appetite for meat, I am not a lover of steaks.  Ever since my traumatic experience in the U.S., I grew an aversion for anything with 'steak' attached to its name.  I wince as I recall back then how the big-bodied Americans stacked thick slabs of meat like they were fluffy pancakes.  I got myself a hefty slice to try, finished a third of it, and for the rest of the week, I was belching steak breath as my enzymes failed horribly to digest the meat.  I decided then and there never to touch the steak again.  So, I fell in love with the tender baby back ribs.


If I were to have my last meal, this would be at the top of my list.

But destiny would have it no other way, as I discovered a humble hole-in-the-wall steak joint hidden somewhere in QC.  During my first visit there, she was insistent on letting me try out their steaks, fully aware that I loathed the mere sight of it.  But, I gave it a shot.  I never regretted it since.  And I have been craving for it almost every month of my life.

There are a handful of budget steak shops around the QC and San Juan area, like Everything At Steak, Slice N' Dice, and the like.  But when it comes to 'budget' steak, none epitomizes it best than Snackaroo.  Snackaroo is a carinderia turned one-stop steak shop.  Jutting out along the corner of a busy street, the place has no air-condition, no screened windows, hell, not even a decent parking space.  During peak hours at night, you have to be adept at parallel parking just to get your steak fix.  That is, if you're lucky enough to get a parking spot.

The tables and chairs are simple wooden fixtures, arranged just behind the grilling area.  Works for me, since the smokey aroma of barbecue heightens the senses and makes everything taste spectacular.  The menu is often greasy - yes, you read that right - greasy, from all the hands that have handled it the whole day.  It is uncomplicated and straightforward, pick and order.  Better yet, the classic turo-turo works for some, as Snackaroo is really a carinderia complete with pots and pans of different viands displayed out front for every passer-by to see.

The one page menu does not do justice to the glorious steak.


In other words, this seems the last place you'll find a quality, great-tasting steak.  But read on, and I guarantee you'd be bringing out Google Maps to find this place.

A few days ago, I had another attack of Snackaroo craving, so we scampered quickly to this branch in QC.  We ordered quickly two cuts of steak and a couple of cups of rice to boot.  The curious thing about Snackaroo, however, is they often run out of one type of cut.  They offer only T-bone and Porterhouse, but frequently the latter sells faster (probably because of its heftier serving).  That night it was only the T-bone available.  

That's not soup.  That's the magical essence of the steak here in Snackaroo.

While waiting for the steak to be grilled, our plates of rice were served, along with the ethereal gravy, the secret to the distinct taste of Snackaroo.  Served in a small bowl, this was not your ordinary KFC type of gravy.  It has a buttery overtone, a smooth texture, and a smokey flavor.  Despite its lackadaisical appearance, the gravy is the perfect partner for their steaks.  The makers are so smart to know that, and so extra gravy here comes with a price.  Unless you're friends with the wait staff, you won't get any free refills here (we did, actually).

T-Bone Steak, P145

The steaks here come out one way only, medium well.  I'm not sure if you could order it otherwise, but I never did try.  Surprisingly, medium well was perfectly executed, in spite of the primitive grilling gear.  After about 10 minutes or less, these two big plates were set on our table.

Grilled to perfection.

The meat was impeccably charred, the grill markings evidence of the freshly smoked taste.  The portions are big enough to nearly fill the whole plate, although its thickness not even breaking half a centimeter.  At first slice, the juicy fibers offer the slightest resistance, showing tenderness all throughout.  Nearly devoid of marinade, you get to savor the juice of the steak in its unadulterated form.  


The hint of fat and strands of sinewy tendons tempt even the most religious diet.

What I absolutely adore with the T-bone is the cloying layer of fat and the chewy strands of tendons.  These offer a contrast in texture to the firmer meat.  And Snackaroo delivers with just the right cuts to tempt even the strictest dieter.  Drenching each piece with the gravy is the way to go, a match made in heaven.

At less than 150 bucks per serving, Snackaroo has got to be the best affordable steak in town. Although you may find other shops that serve rice and sidings along with the steak for that price tag (mostly in food courts), there is no other experience comparable to this.  The thinner cut may put off the avid steak fan, but for me, the lighter weight was more friendly to my sensitive innards.  Amazingly, the steak was quite filling, and we often couldn't finish it in one sitting.

Now there's a happy camper. Craving satisfied!

If you're looking for honest-to-goodness, no frills, affordable steak, this is it.  No fancy music, no expensive wine, no suck-up wait staff.  Just good old T-bone and Porterhouse.  If you're not squeamish about dining in an open carinderia and rubbing elbows with the table next to you, and instead just concentrating on the steak itself, Snackaroo is worth every penny.  Their steak even cracked the Top 10 List of Best Steaks in Manila by spot.ph.  Seriously.

Snackaroo clearly deserves its ranking along with the higher-end joints.  If I were to be executed  tonight and had one last request for food, this will be at the top of my list.  That's how good it is.  Hands down, the best cheap steak for every cheapskate.



Jones


Snackaroo Specialty Foods
J. Jimenez Street, Kamuning
Quezon City







Written by

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I've always passed by snackaroo in Matalino but I've always ignored it. I'll try the steak tomorrow. Hahaha!


    Btw this is so well-written. I enjoyed reading it hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just lost my man about three months ago though he is back again full of love and passion with the help of great man Dr. IKHIDE. I NORAH PEDRO from Norway, have been into a relationship with daniel mark since I was 22 years old and I am 28 now. I so much love him but I could not show the love, it was very difficult for me to prove my realness to him because I thought to prove my love to him might make him look down on me and go after other girls. for over six years Daniel has given me all that I ask of him. I always threatened him with break up each time I want to see his level of love for me because I was told if I threaten him, he will propose to me and then will get married to him before I can show my love despite his complains of him not sure of my love I was responding to him with negative words. though I was suspecting he has another girl in his life, I did not border to ask him about that because I was so sure of his love despite my attitude. on the 8th of September a day to my birthday he came and gave me so many lovely gifts like never before claiming to wish me a happy birthday in advance with his words and behavior I expected him to propose to me on my birthday night then I will also tell him of my pregnant for him. I wait for him on my birthday he did not show up not even a call, I tried his number and it was not going through I refuse to go check on him because the anger in me six days later I went to his house and I found nothing not even a sign of my Daniel once live there. I was disappointed, frustrated, confused with so many thoughts on my mind like hanging my self if I did not see him again because I can not my parent about the pregnancy when the man responsible for it had disappeared. our religion's against that, my family will be disappointed in me, I have brought them shame. I look for daniel everywhere till I could chat with him on social network, he warned me never to disturb him again because he already had found another girl that he wants to live his life with, after a while, he blocked me from all access then I could not tell him of my pregnancy for him. so, I needed help from all corners of life, I decide to check to google my self or read some write up on-site on how to coup with my pain because I could not tell anybody about it not even my friends were aware of my pregnancy. I keep reading to cancel my self till I find how Dr. IKHIDE helps so many persons from different walks of life with their testimonies. then I decide to also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com. Because I do not know much about contacting a spell caster, I was not sure he can bring my Dan back but I decide to give him a try though his requirement was another problem I meet with a friend for help because I could not the items that he needed I have to plead with Dr. IKHIDE to help me get the items because really need my man back to take away my shame. just two days after I send him the requirement Daniel calls me, plead for forgiveness. just yesterday he propose to me and I am so happy. you can also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete