Break down that darn gate! Songkran: The Thai Behind


Gates are the proverbial opening to a world beyond.  But closed gates are a hindrance, a nuisance, an insurmountable border.  I remember back in my high-school days, that gate along D. Tuazon Street was wide open, a short-cut to Aguirre Avenue and its greener pastures beyond (okay, at that time Hen-Lin was the only restaurant nearest to that corner).  Sadly, in years past, the gate was closed permanently with no other exit through (of course, there were two other exits at our sector).  I therefore had to go around just to reach those joints that were practically just behind our house!

And so, lazy that I am, I didn't really bother much about what goes on behind those walls.  Until I read about Songkran in another foodie blog.  This blog however, talked about its original Makati branch.  And I was quite amused that a branch sprung up just at the corner of D. Tuazon, beyond that Berlin Wall.  So one Sunday after church, the family finally decided to try this restaurant.

Nestled nicely among lush coconut trees, Songkran peeks curiously with its purple signage and a homey vibe.  Located just beside a store that sells Asian vases (I think they own this too), you can never go more Asian than this.  On that lazy Sunday noon, the place was virtually empty and we had it to ourselves.

I browsed through their menu and snappily ordered my favorite staples.  No Thai food experience would be complete without any order of spring rolls, fried or otherwise.  

Fried Spring Rolls, P125

These spring rolls are fun to eat, each packing a generous filling of sotanghon noodles and a sprinkle of ground meat, tucked carefully inside a crisp wrapper.  That sweet spicy sauce is a perfect partner to this appetizer, which in fact, masquerades as a main dish as well.  Five medium-sized pieces for just more than a hundred backs?  A certain steal.


Crispy Catfish with Mango Salad, P200

The Thai seafood version of our pinoy favorite adobo flakes, I discovered these bundles of joy while eating in another restaurant.  This flaky treat combines the crunchy texture of the fried catfish and the sour-y goodness of half-ripe mango, a perfect and addicting combination indeed.  I could eat a whole bowl of this, but I think it was a bit overpriced.  Still, you would definitely love sprinkling these flakes atop a bowl of jasmine rice.  Just like our adobo flakes.


Tom Yum Ta Lai, P250

Of course, if you go Thai, you have to go Tom Yum! This seafood version packed a lot of punch (believe me, I did not do the dish justice with my crappy phone camera).  Beneath the murky broth lies the bounty of the sea: fresh medium-sized prawns, succulent and tender squid, and a whole lot of other stuff. The spice level got our lunch kicking. (Although I did order for milder, in hesitant deference to my parents.  I requested instead for chili powder for my own sadistic satisfaction).  I always believed that Tom Yum was a notch higher than our Filipino sinigang (crucify me, my fellow Filipino loyalists), and Songkran delivered a sure-fire hit.  And for that price, this was good for up to 4 people.  A definite choice when dining with your buddies.


Green Chicken Curry, P270

I fell in love with Thai curry ever since my first bite.  So, it's always a staple whenever I visit a Thai restaurant.  At first look, one might be disappointed with the lack of viridian in the sauce.  No matter, the taste more than made up for its looks.  Coconut milk was distinctly present, along with the spice of the curry powder and the precarious slices of green chili (I ate those actually).  The chicken was good, soft and chewy.  My only complaint was the small serving size (I could finish this up alone) for that price.  But hey, drenching the jasmine rice with that curry sauce was heaven.

I had been hindered by that darn gate from discovering the Thai behind.  We even asked the waitress, in jest, if we could order by phone and then they could just throw the stuff over the fence! To our amusement, she said they do accept such unusual orders, and they would simply reach over the fence to deliver their delicious food!  One of these days, I guess.

Songkran is a budget-friendly, family type of restaurant that BF homies would love.  No need to endure the traffic going to ATC or Southmall.  Just drive along Aguirre and stumble upon this Thai paradise.  In my case, it's just a leap over the fence.  Or perhaps breaking down that gate.  Now, if only I could find my wire-cutters...



Songkran Thai Restaurant
Aguirre Avenue, corner D. Tuazon Street
BF Homes, Paranaque City





Food & Drink - Top Blogs Philippines

Written by

0 comments: