Wingin' It at B. Wings


I hate Fridays.  No, not the resto.  I hate Fridays because of a single reason: traffic!  It's quite a spectacle here in the Philippines whenever the week hits Friday, most of the metro's main thoroughfares become one humongous parking lot.  So, on a usual Metro Manila Friday, we braved the traffic of C5 (oh SM Aura, what a wonderful location you have) to seek that one comfort food to soothe our week.

Everyone has their own comfort food.  I have quite a handful, but nothing quite hits the spot right on than a crunchy and tangy piece of buffalo wing.  Countless joints specializing on buffalo wings have sprouted all across the metro, each branding its own unique twist.  I chanced upon B. Wings when we curiously tried out the food truck bazaar Cucina Andare at the Glorietta.  This small stall was abuzz with life, and their chicken wings was shouting with flavor.  No wonder it was, and remains to be, one of the best-sellers at Cucina Andare.  Soon thereafter, I happily discovered that B. Wings had an actual restaurant along the back-streets of Katipunan.  Armed with my Google Map, I searched for the elusive home of one my favorite comfort foods, perfect for this infuriating traffic.

The B. Wings main branch wasn't too hard to find, but their shop was unassuming and simple.  No big signages, no screaming advertisements.  Just an air-conditioned nook, with mundane black chairs and boring stainless steel tables.  No matter, the wings was the star of the show anyway.  Settling down on our seats, we quickly ordered half-a-pound of one of our favorite flavors, the Black Mamba.  For the other half, we opted for a stronger punch with a medium spice Original Buffalo Wings.



Black Mamba (left) and Medium Spice Original Buffalo Wings (right)
P230 (1/2 lb. each flavor, total of 1 lb)

I know the pieces look small, and I agree.  Other buffalo joints would serve larger portions (at a heftier price of course), but size isn't all that matters.  In fact, you'd be surprised that a half pound is enough for the average sized Pinoy.  We already knew what to expect with the Black Mamba, having tried it at Cucina Andare.  Each wing was oozing with a delectable mix of flavors, a triad of sweet, sour, and spicy.  The glistening brown glaze was packed with a distinct taste, it was hard to distinguish what was in the concoction.  Not to mention, the wings were perfectly deep-fried to a crisp, I nibbled it down to bone.  No wastage whatsoever.

The medium spice Original Buffalo Wings supposedly had a hint of cheese flavor, but I only got wind of it at the bottom of the plate.  Nevertheless, the spice level was just right to leave a tingling and burning sensation on your tongue and lips that lingers and tickles your taste buds, tempting you to devour piece after piece.  Don't chide me for not going for the highest spice level.  Believe me, medium is already hot (and I eat green chilies, so go figure), but not comparable to the Nuclear level of Buffalo's Wings and Things (that was a painful experience).  Again, each wing was impeccably fried, with the meat beneath remaining juicy and tender.  Each order of a pound of wings comes with a single dip, but the flavor of the wings itself was already prominent.  We hardly noticed the garlic aioli dip.  Both flavors should have gone well with rice, but I was watching my weight so I skipped the carbs.

On second thought, my body needs a few calories from carbs.  So I ordered an extra side of french fries.


French Fries, P40

Crisscross-cut potato fries was a good combination and neutralizer for the overpowering flavors of the wings.  These aren't your fast food lard fries either.  My only complaint was I hope they served a larger portion, as you can't stop eating these with the wings.




All these wonderful flavors for just under 300 bucks?? A definite steal.  I won't ever go to Chili's or Friday's for my buffalo wing fix, that's for sure.  B. Wings also offers value meals (wings + rice, even bagnet + rice!!) that are easy on the pocket and heavy on the flavor.  Some buffalo wing joints are also too flashy and expensive, but fall short of flavor.  B. Wings, on the other hand, hits the mark with flying colors.  It's small wonder why they often sell out in Cucina Andare (and Levante in Eastwood).  Cooking times at these bazaars often exceed 30 minutes because of the really long queues!  So, if you're in the QC area, better troop to their main branch instead for a more relaxing dine-in.  Without the sweat and smoke of bazaars.  Just you and your comfort food.


B.Wings
Loyola Heights Condominium
Esteban Abada Street, Loyola Heights, QC




Food & Drink - Top Blogs Philippines

Written by

0 comments: