In Search of the Perfect Gyudon: A Dead End

It's been a while since my last review on the sacred beef bowl, as I wallowed (perhaps content) on my previous discoveries... But my hunger for a newer taste led me to renew my search once again... Unexpectedly, it lead to a really dead end... I happened to chance upon this joint in Robinson's Ermita, and the Sai-Bachi Restaurant's take on this sacred beef bowl, was well, disappointing.


What the hell was this?!?  Did I order a Katsudon or Gyudon? It was sacrilege to masquerade this sublime dish for something so unholy (pardon, Katsudon lovers)... Oh well, the beef strips were thin and tender, and the rice portion was enough, but to cook that raw egg and turn this into an omelette??  It's a blatant crime!  And those seaweed strips did nothing to help.

Sadly, my palate was frustrated, and my wallet too!  Not really worth your money... And so, I fear now for my future discoveries.

Gyudon Beef Bowl
P160 per serving
Sai-Bachi Restaurant
Robinson's Place, Ermita, Manila
Rating: 2 stars

(orginally posted on September 7, 2008 in http://volvox23.multiply.com/reviews/item/7)


Written by

0 comments: