Mexican March Madness: Chihuahua Mexican Grill

March seems to be the month of the Mexican, at least for me.  I had been craving for the good old simple taco and quesadilla for a number of days now.  Our recent foray into the belly of El Chupacabra further sparked my desire for Mexican cuisine.

Long before El Chupacabra was making waves in social media and foodstagrammers, Chihuahua was already whipping up affordable yet authentic Mexican fare.  Its first branch was in a rather delicate location - right smack in Makati's red light district and nearly impossible to access for most of the general public.  Still, it developed a loyal following and has since then expanded to two more outlets that are more appealing to the hungry masses.


Ordering here is as easy as 1-2-3.  You walk up to the counter and pick your preferred wrap: burrito, quesadilla, or the taco.  Fillings range from the usual meat choices, including steak!  The place is well-lit, simple, and no-frills.  Curiously, various game boards were placed on empty tables as it seems the joint welcomes people who want to kill time while gobbling.  One section of the wall caught my fancy - the hot sauce library!  One is enticed to pick their poison of the day, designed to add some oomph to your dish.



There was quite a variety of sauces to choose from, but one caught my palate's fancy.  This Chili Rojo was zesty and deceptively hot.  It starts out mild but as you keep absorbing it, the effect multiplies in your mouth.  Definitely a good pairing with any Mexican dish.


Chips and Queso, P125

To begin our little fiesta, we ordered a bowl of Nachos to share.  This version came with a side of cheese dip.  The chips were cut in large pieces but are relatively easy to wolf down.  Crisp and lightly salted, the dip added flavor to an otherwise tasteless affair.  The cheese dip was mild though and could have benefited from a more thick and gooey consistency.

Quesadilla (Solo, P195) + Steak (add P50)

Having sampled El Chupacabra's melt-in-your-mouth steak quesadilla, we tried Chihuahua's own version.  Three palm-sized flatbread arrived filled with slices of US beef.  At first the size looked daunting, but once you bite, the filling seems too few.


The flat bread was lightly toasted on the exterior, rendering a mild crunchy texture.  The steak was tender and juicy but less smooth than El Chupacabra's version.  Still, there seemed to be more morsels in there compared to the latter.  I would have preferred the cheese to be more gooey and stringy in consistency, but it was flavorful on its own.  The dish came with refillable sides of salsa to add another dimension and taste, but there's nothing a dash of chili sauce can't save.

Tacos (3 pcs, P245) + Steak (add P50)

I picked the steak taco for an apparently lighter fare.  Interestingly, one can mix and match your choice of whether to get the soft shell or the more familiar crunchy version.  I picked one as soft-shell just to have variation.


Again, the steak was generously cut and larger, with a tender texture.  But it was less smooth and was grittier than what I sampled in El Chupacabra.  Also, it was served cold!  The toppings of greens was more than sufficient, adding yet another crunchy texture with its fresh crispness.  I added some more salsa and a dashes of chili sauce to seal the deal.  The dish could have benefited from more cheese though.


Chihuahua also has a diverse drink collection, from local and foreign beers to their own margarita concoctions.  But this Dr. Pepper Cherry Soda instantly caught my eye!  I absolutely love the peppery, almost medicinal taste of whatever Dr. Pepper soda variant there is.  It was the perfect pairing to douse the flames of Mexican food.


Although somewhat overshadowed by its now more legendary rival, Chihuahua still deserves a place in the Mexican food scene.  It is simple yet satisfying, and being one of the pioneers of demystifying Mexican cuisine.  Prices are affordable and their 2 latest locations are more accessible for the general hungry public.  The dishes could use some more generosity in the ingredients though.  But one is assured of its freshness and authenticity.  Chihuahua is probably an easier choice to quell the Mexican craving.



Jones


Chihuahua Mexican Grill and Margarita Bar
Level 1, Greenbelt 2, Ayala Center
Makati City














Written by

2 comments:

  1. This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its almost arduous to argue with you. You positively put a brand new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just lost my man about three months ago though he is back again full of love and passion with the help of great man Dr. IKHIDE. I NORAH PEDRO from Norway, have been into a relationship with daniel mark since I was 22 years old and I am 28 now. I so much love him but I could not show the love, it was very difficult for me to prove my realness to him because I thought to prove my love to him might make him look down on me and go after other girls. for over six years Daniel has given me all that I ask of him. I always threatened him with break up each time I want to see his level of love for me because I was told if I threaten him, he will propose to me and then will get married to him before I can show my love despite his complains of him not sure of my love I was responding to him with negative words. though I was suspecting he has another girl in his life, I did not border to ask him about that because I was so sure of his love despite my attitude. on the 8th of September a day to my birthday he came and gave me so many lovely gifts like never before claiming to wish me a happy birthday in advance with his words and behavior I expected him to propose to me on my birthday night then I will also tell him of my pregnant for him. I wait for him on my birthday he did not show up not even a call, I tried his number and it was not going through I refuse to go check on him because the anger in me six days later I went to his house and I found nothing not even a sign of my Daniel once live there. I was disappointed, frustrated, confused with so many thoughts on my mind like hanging my self if I did not see him again because I can not my parent about the pregnancy when the man responsible for it had disappeared. our religion's against that, my family will be disappointed in me, I have brought them shame. I look for daniel everywhere till I could chat with him on social network, he warned me never to disturb him again because he already had found another girl that he wants to live his life with, after a while, he blocked me from all access then I could not tell him of my pregnancy for him. so, I needed help from all corners of life, I decide to check to google my self or read some write up on-site on how to coup with my pain because I could not tell anybody about it not even my friends were aware of my pregnancy. I keep reading to cancel my self till I find how Dr. IKHIDE helps so many persons from different walks of life with their testimonies. then I decide to also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com. Because I do not know much about contacting a spell caster, I was not sure he can bring my Dan back but I decide to give him a try though his requirement was another problem I meet with a friend for help because I could not the items that he needed I have to plead with Dr. IKHIDE to help me get the items because really need my man back to take away my shame. just two days after I send him the requirement Daniel calls me, plead for forgiveness. just yesterday he propose to me and I am so happy. you can also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete