Sen Lek Thai Noodle House: From Rags to Riches

In the foodie scene, each restaurant has its own story.  I'm a big fan of rags to riches fairy tales, no matter how cliche they may be.  It's always fascinating to see a humble little nook rise to stardom.  It gives us something to cheer for in a world filled with daily negatives.

My sister remembers Sen Lek Thai Noodle House as a small joint in a lesser known part of BF.  I never had the chance to visit them when they were still relatively unknown.  But she swears the food, especially the noodle concoctions, were authentic and good.  Fast forward to a few years back, when Sen Lek resurfaces like a prodigal heroine.  Currently, they occupy a strategic spot along the main road of Aguirre, reeling in patrons, both the loyalists and the novice.


Their current home is large and brightly lit, exuding a cozy vibe with walls adorned with Thai-themed furniture and snippets.  On a lazy Sunday lunch time, the place was half-filled.  Ordering is simple since the menu is quite limited.  The star of course are the noodle soups, but they do offer Thai staples such as curry and tom yum  soup.  They do offer rice meals which seem value-for-money.


We were in a bit of a hurry, so we ordered three rice meals that seemed bang for the buck.  We added another order of noodle soup to share among the three of us.

Wanton Thai Noodle Soup, P100

I'm not kidding.  This big bowl of homey goodness is just a hundred bucks.  Filled nearly full with a smooth, warm broth, the Wanton Thai Noodle Soup is a definite bargain.  The broth was mild and not overpowering with a herbal taste.  Some people have aversion to a queer, medicinal tasting soup, but this is quite tame and should agree with most.  Add a little sriracha chili sauce and you're good to go.   


The flat noodles were soft and perfectly al dente.  I liked the generous serving of fresh mongo sprouts swimming in the mixture.  A dash of chopped herbal greens and onions added color and dimension.  The dumplings though were a bit sad and tasteless, like a cheap grocery version.  Nevertheless, beggars can't be choosers with such a dirt cheap price.  I'm usually not fond of noodles or ramen, but I do have an inkling for Vietnamese or Thai noodles.  This, save for the wonton dumplings, is a steal.

Chicken Pandan, P160

Mom picked the chicken pandan, a usual Thai favorite.  This version, however, was regrettable.  Out came two minuscule, nearly flat portions of chicken wrapped in burnt pandan leaves.  


The chicken was dry and crusted.  It was nearly devoid of flavor, and no amount of soy vinegar dip could save the dish.  It was overpriced and disappointing.  We should have picked another noodle soup instead, which are all value for money.

Beef Curry, P140

I grabbed the beef curry rice meal since I wasn't in the mood for a chicken dish.  The serving looked ample, with a sizable amount of white rice.  The sauce looked fiery and exciting, as I eagerly sampled it.


The curry gravy was a tad too oily but was indeed fiery.  It had a hint of zest but the spice level was not overwhelming.  I enjoyed pouring the mildly sweet and milky sauce on my immaculate white rice.  The beef strips were thin but commensurate in number.  It was tender but some portions were inconsistent.  Also, there was nothing else inside the bowl.  I would have appreciated some eggplants or carrots, or even potatoes.  Now I really miss the massaman curry I had back in SG.

Green Chicken Curry, P130

My sister picked the ubiquitous Green Chicken Curry rice meal.  It looked mundane but the taste was surprisingly good.  The curry gravy was less oily than my beef curry, perhaps neutralized by the chopped eggplants and string beans.  The vegetables were fresh and crisp, for that matter.


The sauce was also mildly sweet and had spicy overtones.  It was highly addicting and would undoubtedly lead one to order extra rice for that generous amount of curry gravy.  It reminded me of the curry I had in Maxwell FC.  It had a more watery consistency which some would not prefer, but it was enjoyable pouring spoonfuls over the rice.  The chicken was tender and flavorful, unlike its pandan counterpart.

Thai Iced Tea, P60

All the heat and tangy flavor deserved a cool down, and what better way to do so than with the all-time favorite Thai Iced Tea.  This version was a few notches too sweet, but one can always douse it with more water.  I liked that the leafy taste was distinct but not dominant, and I could somehow make out a little spice on the drink itself.  A perfect pairing for all the spicy Thai dishes here.

I'm not sure where Sen Lek made its first beginnings, but what it is now is a far cry from its humble little corner spot it used to occupy.  Despite the obvious changes, they have manged to keep prices at bare minimum, and thus kept its loyal fans coming back and virginal converts like me to keep wanting it.  The noodle soups are bang-for-the-buck, with its hefty servings and authentic taste.  Some of the dishes might be hit and miss, or too tame for Thai food purists.  But with a price that's hard to beat, a location that's hard to miss, and food that hits the comfort zones, Sen Lek is more than just the cliche of rags to riches.



Jones


Sen Lek Thai Noodle House
4 Delfa Street, corner President's Avenue
BF Homes, Paranaque City


















Written by

1 comment:

  1. I just lost my man about three months ago though he is back again full of love and passion with the help of great man Dr. IKHIDE. I NORAH PEDRO from Norway, have been into a relationship with daniel mark since I was 22 years old and I am 28 now. I so much love him but I could not show the love, it was very difficult for me to prove my realness to him because I thought to prove my love to him might make him look down on me and go after other girls. for over six years Daniel has given me all that I ask of him. I always threatened him with break up each time I want to see his level of love for me because I was told if I threaten him, he will propose to me and then will get married to him before I can show my love despite his complains of him not sure of my love I was responding to him with negative words. though I was suspecting he has another girl in his life, I did not border to ask him about that because I was so sure of his love despite my attitude. on the 8th of September a day to my birthday he came and gave me so many lovely gifts like never before claiming to wish me a happy birthday in advance with his words and behavior I expected him to propose to me on my birthday night then I will also tell him of my pregnant for him. I wait for him on my birthday he did not show up not even a call, I tried his number and it was not going through I refuse to go check on him because the anger in me six days later I went to his house and I found nothing not even a sign of my Daniel once live there. I was disappointed, frustrated, confused with so many thoughts on my mind like hanging my self if I did not see him again because I can not my parent about the pregnancy when the man responsible for it had disappeared. our religion's against that, my family will be disappointed in me, I have brought them shame. I look for daniel everywhere till I could chat with him on social network, he warned me never to disturb him again because he already had found another girl that he wants to live his life with, after a while, he blocked me from all access then I could not tell him of my pregnancy for him. so, I needed help from all corners of life, I decide to check to google my self or read some write up on-site on how to coup with my pain because I could not tell anybody about it not even my friends were aware of my pregnancy. I keep reading to cancel my self till I find how Dr. IKHIDE helps so many persons from different walks of life with their testimonies. then I decide to also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com. Because I do not know much about contacting a spell caster, I was not sure he can bring my Dan back but I decide to give him a try though his requirement was another problem I meet with a friend for help because I could not the items that he needed I have to plead with Dr. IKHIDE to help me get the items because really need my man back to take away my shame. just two days after I send him the requirement Daniel calls me, plead for forgiveness. just yesterday he propose to me and I am so happy. you can also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete