In Search of the Perfect Gyudon: A Few Little Secrets

Obviously, my search has not yet revealed the true treasures of the gourmet world of gyudon.. For deep inside the bowels (pardon) of Alabang Town Center, there lies  a not-so-secret joint, the Omakase Japanese restaurant... But of course, in my quest for the golden bowl of gyudon, I would not leave a single stone unturned!  But I was not quite ready to be disappointed this way.. Well, apparently their joint is quite known for its sushi / sashimi (I must say, they are quite creative), but I wished they tried to exude the same creativeness  in their gyudon... But alas, it was not to be...

At the start, their version reminds me of one of my favorites, the Kimono Ken version... The slices of beef are fine, not too thin, neither too thick... The rice portions are ample... But what is lacking is the color and variation... I had trouble finding some juicy shitake mushrooms and itsy bitsy onion strips simply did not suffice... And the sauce was, well, ordinary...

Nothing spectacular here, really, just something to fill your hungry stomachs... I might be a bit biased, ever since my palate was tickled by a clever variation by my previous discovery (read: John and Yoko), but had it not borne a similarity with the Kimono Ken version, I would have dropped my rating a star lower... Anyway, for those in the southern part of Manila, it's still worth a visit just for the sushi though, but I still can't recommend the gyudon, unless you are really hungry.

Gyudon Beef Bowl
P240 per serving
Omakase Japanese Restaurant
Alabang Town Center, Muntinlupa
Rating: 3 stars!

(originally posted on January 26,2009 in http://volvox23.multiply.com/reviews/item/9)


Written by

0 comments: