Tales From The Other Side: Rio Japanese and Korean Restaurant

There was a time when the long stretch of Aguirre Avenue was nearly devoid of any food spot.  A decade ago, there were only a handful of notables, including Conti's (the original branch), Hanakazu, and Little Quiapo.  Today, Aguirre is a bustling neighborhood of cafes, bars, and restaurants.  Often neglected and forgotten is the lesser known far end of Aguirre.  Away from the traffic nightmares so common these days, this area houses a treasure trove of good finds.  I aim to start this series of posts as I discover the tales from "the other side".


Much like the more famous restaurants I mentioned above, Rio has been a resident of BF for a long time.  Under its original title "Little Rio", it slowly gained popularity as a homey, quaint Japanese joint.  It served (and still does) a unique, hitherto unconventional twist with its crispy chicken teriyaki.  Of course, since then, many restaurants have followed suit.  Quite so suddenly, it closed down but resurrected just a couple of years ago with a bigger shop.

The charm of its simplicity, combined with the affordable menu, keeps its loyalists returning.  I, for one, swear on the goodness of their chicken teriyaki.  So, on a rainy and lazy Sunday lunch, we trooped to this quieter side of town.  We had the shop to ourselves when we arrived, and we proceeded to order the usual Japanese fare they offered.

Shoyu Ramen, P190 (Regular)


With the cold downpour of rain outside, sis and Mom deemed it fit to enjoy a warm bowl of ramen.  Mom's choice was the regular sized Shoyu.  The regular bowl was sized similar to the higher end ramen restaurants, but at a much lower price tag.  I don't really fancy eating noodles, but Mom professed it was hearty and fulfilling.  Tossed into the mix were ample slices of chasu pork, half an egg, and some bean sprouts.  I took a little sip of the warm broth and the saltiness was not overpowering.  The pork was tender but lacked a bit of seasoning or flavor.  I'm not sure but the egg should have been a bit more runny.  The thin noodles were okay.

Seafood Ramen, P210 (Regular)



On the other hand, the Seafood Ramen was packed with more contents.  Slices of tuna, squid, and shrimps swam deliciously in a clear broth.  Sister claimed the seafood was fresh enough.  I took a sip of the soup and it was saltier than the shoyu.  Perhaps the natural salinity and brine of the seafood contributed to its denser flavor.  

Clearly, I am no ramen connoisseur, but the ladies enjoyed their bowls down to the last slurp.  Happily though, their 2 orders of regular ramen qualified us to avail of a promo for free 8 piece gyoza!


Gyoza, P160 (8 pcs)

It seemed like the steal of the day with the gyoza worth 160 bucks if ordered outside the promo.  Nevertheless, my expectations were not high for this version.  The dumplings were average-sized and appeared plump.  The skin was all right, not too thick.


At first bite however, it was a little deflating.  The filling was too little as evidenced by the space within.  Still, the mix inside was flavorful with the ground pork and chopped veggies.  Luckily we didn't have to pay for this since I would have regretted ordering it.

Ebi Tempura, P160 (3 pcs)

As usual, I ordered shrimp tempura which I intended to eat on my own.  But of course, the ladies grabbed a piece each.  The tempura was light, the batter thin and crisp.  The shrimps were only average-sized yet still fresh and juicy.  Not exactly award-winning, but definitely better than the regular fast-food variety.



I succumbed to my beef bowl cravings and ordered a serving of gyudon, after missing it for so long.  I eagerly waited for my order to arrive.  My heart (and stomach) has a soft spot for beef served in immaculate pristine white bowls.  This was no exception. 

Gyudon, P210

Lost in the messy presentation were thin slices of beef, a few onions, and an entanglement of noodles topped with a fresh golden egg yolk.  I actually forgot to ask the server to remove the noodles, since I was not too fond of having my gyudon in this manner.  It added too much bulk to the dish.  The mirin sauce was a good combination of savory and sweet, although inclining more to a sweeter side.  The beef, I noticed, was fewer in portion compared to a couple of years ago.  Talk about inflation (and deflation of serving sizes!).  Nevertheless, it was tender and not tough, easy on my jaws.  The rice portion was hefty and I dared not to polish it all off.  

Despite the influx of more hip restaurants and more exciting cuisines, Rio has managed to retain its humble charm and "old-world" magic.  It reminds long time residents of BF how our place used to be so quiet and peaceful, with shops such as Rio offering a homey take on old-time Japanese favorites.  Although admittedly, Rio is not as creative and innovative as other hole-in-the-wall joints.  But neither do they intend to do so.  As such, prices are kept at a minimum (even doing away with service charge) but quality is certainly above any regular fast-food joint.  Therefore, don't expect to be blown away.  Rio is a quick escape from the hustle and bustle of the other side, as it rightfully sits on the more serene end of the foodie street.



Jones


Rio Japanese and Korean Restaurant
303 El Grande Avenue, corner Havana Street
BF Homes, Paranaque City













Written by

1 comment:

  1. I just lost my man about three months ago though he is back again full of love and passion with the help of great man Dr. IKHIDE. I NORAH PEDRO from Norway, have been into a relationship with daniel mark since I was 22 years old and I am 28 now. I so much love him but I could not show the love, it was very difficult for me to prove my realness to him because I thought to prove my love to him might make him look down on me and go after other girls. for over six years Daniel has given me all that I ask of him. I always threatened him with break up each time I want to see his level of love for me because I was told if I threaten him, he will propose to me and then will get married to him before I can show my love despite his complains of him not sure of my love I was responding to him with negative words. though I was suspecting he has another girl in his life, I did not border to ask him about that because I was so sure of his love despite my attitude. on the 8th of September a day to my birthday he came and gave me so many lovely gifts like never before claiming to wish me a happy birthday in advance with his words and behavior I expected him to propose to me on my birthday night then I will also tell him of my pregnant for him. I wait for him on my birthday he did not show up not even a call, I tried his number and it was not going through I refuse to go check on him because the anger in me six days later I went to his house and I found nothing not even a sign of my Daniel once live there. I was disappointed, frustrated, confused with so many thoughts on my mind like hanging my self if I did not see him again because I can not my parent about the pregnancy when the man responsible for it had disappeared. our religion's against that, my family will be disappointed in me, I have brought them shame. I look for daniel everywhere till I could chat with him on social network, he warned me never to disturb him again because he already had found another girl that he wants to live his life with, after a while, he blocked me from all access then I could not tell him of my pregnancy for him. so, I needed help from all corners of life, I decide to check to google my self or read some write up on-site on how to coup with my pain because I could not tell anybody about it not even my friends were aware of my pregnancy. I keep reading to cancel my self till I find how Dr. IKHIDE helps so many persons from different walks of life with their testimonies. then I decide to also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com. Because I do not know much about contacting a spell caster, I was not sure he can bring my Dan back but I decide to give him a try though his requirement was another problem I meet with a friend for help because I could not the items that he needed I have to plead with Dr. IKHIDE to help me get the items because really need my man back to take away my shame. just two days after I send him the requirement Daniel calls me, plead for forgiveness. just yesterday he propose to me and I am so happy. you can also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete