Prepping for SG: Wee Nam Kee

Okay, so these are the last few blog posts I'm writing before I leave for Singapore for a whole year.  Of course, that doesn't mean my blog would be in hiatus, but I sure hope to find some time to share my Singapore food trip in spite of a busy schedule.

With that in mind, it was but fitting to try out a Singaporean signature dish which had sparked its own chicken phenomenon in the past two years or so.  Of course, the Hainanese chicken had long been a staple of Chinese restaurants here in our country.  But it was not until dedicated chicken rice shops started setting up their businesses did it receive Hollywood star attention.

Seems cadaveric but definitely alive in flavor.

Needless to say, to sample the best Hainanese chicken, one should go for the most authentic.  Wee Nam Kee, a prominent Singaporean brand, first set its feet on our shores a few years ago, and hasn't slowed down since.  With new branches cropping up all around the metro (much like Yabu), it triggered its own chicken craze (although much less than the katsu).  However, I am generally not fond of the pale-looking and bland-appearing Hainanese chicken, so I never really caught up with the craziness.  Nevertheless, I did not pass up a chance to give it a go during one family meet.  Plus, this was a Singaporean joint, so I figured I could give myself a prep before I left.


The branch at ATC was relatively smaller than its counterparts in other places, but it could comfortably seat around 15 groups or so.  The interiors were simple and well-lit, while the tables were mundane with their wooden fixtures and the lack of any table top decor, save for the trio of condiments.

Guess which is my favorite condiment.

The three jars contained chili sambal paste, chopped ginger, and a sweet soy glaze.  Of course, the red one caught my eye, and I liberally sprinkled it on whatever food I had on my plate.  Before I tried the Hainanese chicken, I spotted a few dishes that I wanted to taste.

Roast Pork Rice (Lechon Kawali Rice), P175 (+ service charge)

In any Chinese joint, the Lechon Macau / Roast Pork always catches my fancy.  I simply had to indulge on this one.  Sadly though, its appearance was pale and lifeless, not to mention its diminutive size.  Pallor must be a consistent trait in these shops, as the meat looked gloomy.  Of course, Chinese restaurants really serve Lechon Kawali this way (unlike what pinoys are used to seeing).  But, I've had more enticing and attractive plates in some other Chinese shops (like Shifu's Master Kitchen, hell even my food court fave Magic Wok serves one mean bowl).  Still, the meat, although cold, was soft and tender and the layer of fat and thin crisp skin so cloying.  The hoisin dip added much needed flavor, and there's nothing a chili paste can do wrong on any dish.  A real disappointment.

Honey Crispy Squid, P350 (+service charge)

My first experience with crispy baby squids were during my first visit to Singapore, when I devoured these babies in Makansutra Gluttons Bay.  It had an eclectic mix of sweet and briny flavor with the squids crunchy with each bite.  It left a lasting impression on me.  So I eagerly anticipated that the Wee Nam Kee version would be up to par.  When the plate was set down on our table, I was dumbfounded.  


The serving size was so small and the squids were tinier than babies.  It seemed I was in for another disappointment.  But, when I grabbed my first bite, the mix of flavors burst forth.  The sweetness of honey blended well with the natural savory taste of squid, with the latter crisp in every nook and cranny, despite the obvious oiliness.  The chopped onions added a slight contrast in texture.  The dish was highly addicting and matches well with Wee Nam Kee's signature chicken rice.

Sambal Kang Kong, P190 (+service charge)

In between spoonfuls of the baby squid, the Sambal Kang Kong offered a healthy respite.  Stir-fried in that luscious and lovable sambal paste, this dish resembled our very own adobong kangkong if not for the chili upgrade.  Still, it was quite addicting, for a vegetable dish.

Steamed Hainanese Chicken, Large, P888 (+service charge)


Moving on to the star of the show, the main attraction here of course is the Hainanese Chicken.  To the uninitiated, at first glance, the pale cadaveric skin is a likely turn-off.  But take a swift bite and you'll experience a unique flavor.  The whole chicken is steamed in a herbal, almost medicinal, aromatic broth, preserving the juicy goodness of the meat.


I'm no stranger to this kind of steamed chicken, having tasted it in numerous Chinese restaurants when I was younger.  However, this was my first time to taste an authentic, Singaporean-style Hainanese chicken.  The meat was tender and fall-off-the-bone, with all the flavors of the juice locked in, and then bursting forth with each bite.  Even without the trio of dips, the chicken was already pleasing to the palate.  Yet, like most things in life, chili makes it better!  I prefer pasting each morsel with the fiery red mix and then drizzling the sweet soy glaze.  It was a wonderful blend, an extraordinary experience.  This large serving easily satisfies groups of 4 to 6 hungry people, but it also comes in a smaller, more intimate, personal size and of course the roasted variety.  I have yet to try out the latter, but the unadulterated steamed version is the way to go for first-timers.

True to form, Wee Nam Kee does serve up a real, honest-to-goodness, Hainanese chicken.  After sampling their rendition, my excitement just hyped up in eager anticipation of my upcoming sabbatical in Singapore, to try out more authentic dishes.  Despite the tremendous letdown of the Lechon Kawali and the minor setback on the squid, Wee Nam Kee executes their signature dish to a T.  The service of the waitstaff, on the other hand, is an entirely different matter.  It was already past the usual lunch hours yet service was slow, beginning with cooking time and even when computing the bill.  I'm not so sure with the other branches, so this could be just an aberration.  Or simply just a bad day.

Nevertheless, Wee Nam Kee is a perfect getaway to grab your piece of Singapore without shelling big bucks for air fare.  The dishes taste authentic, with reasonable prices.  Until such time as real hawker centers invade our shores, shops such as Wee Nam Kee will keep our hungry stomachs and curious tongues delightfully preoccupied.




Jones
Wee Nam Kee
Ground Floor, Alabang Town Center, New Wing
Alabang-Zapote Road
Muntinlupa







Written by

0 comments: